Thursday, April 12, 2007


The day before the More Half-Marathon (which I never completed) I was talking to my coach about my upcoming races. He mentioned to me that after the March Madness Biathlon in Central Park he was going to do the 10K Roadrunner’s event. I thought he was seriously out of his mind. Two races in one day – that’s insane. But the seed had been planted…

He sent out an email later in the week to our club once again mentioning that he was doing both races and wanted to know if anyone had any interest. I don’t know what came over me: I signed up for the second race. I was super careful this time to give my body some rest before the double race day so we wouldn’t have a repeat of the Half-Marathon that never was.

I woke up at 5:15am on Sunday while running coach was sound asleep. I did my pre race ritual: two kashi go loan waffles, small coffee and major water. I had never done a duathlon before and I had no idea what to expect. NYTC runs a really organized race for anyone interested. I set up my bike shoes, etc and then just waited (I also went to the bathroom about three times due to nerves + major water intake). My coach was in the race and totally holding court. All the NY clubs were there including the infamous team that was so rude to me a few months back.

At the start of the race up cat hill I pushed it way too hard. What was I thinking? I guess I just got a little carried away. I finished the first leg in 17:56 (two miles). Next came the bike. I had no problem with the transition since my late signup for the race scored me a sweet spot near the bike exit. My two loops took me 53 minutes. Not great but on par with what I have been doing. Then came the second run. I have never before experienced bike legs and man do they suck. The first mile was pure pain. Then my legs came back to me and I actually started passing people. The second two-miler was only 2 minutes back of the first one not bad.

Then I met my coach and we parked our bikes in my bike room and headed back to the park. We met up with some friends of his for the second race: The Scotland 10K. The race was beyond crowded. I kept up with my coach for about the first 3.5 miles and then I just had to drop back. I did manage to finish in 53:51, which equates to an 8:40ish mile. That’s only 20 seconds off my killer four mile pace.

Afterwards I hobbled home to meet running coach and my friend Liza for carbs. I demolished some pancakes. Running coach and I spent the rest of the day glued to the couch. Later we headed out to watch the Cards game and get some burgers. Then about two hours after my body went crazy and I threw up. Good Times!

No comments: